MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- Real estate blog Movoto.com recently named Mount Kisco the fourth-best place to live in New York.
Movoto compiled a list of municipalities within the state with 10,000 people or more from the 2010 U.S. census. The site then ranked the 87 qualifying areas on the following criteria:
- Total amenities.
- Quality of life (cost of living, median home price, median rent, median household income, and student- to-teacher ratio).
- Total crimes.
- Tax rates (sales tax and income tax).
- Commute time.
- Weather (temperature and air quality).
Mount Kisco ranked in the top 10 in three categories: unemployment (fourth), tax rate (seventh) and quality of life (ninth). The town of nearly 11,000 also excelled in weather, coming in at No.14.
Mount Kisco's worst category was in commute time, ranking 55th out of 87 communities.
The overall score of 22 for Mount Kisco placed it just behind Mamaroneck, Tarrytown and White Plains, which took the top three spots with scores of 20.71, 21.57 and 21.86, respectively.
Overall, Westchester County communities dominated the top 10, taking 10 spots. Scarsdale, Harrison, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining, Rye and New Rochelle (tied for 10th with Saratoga Springs) all made the top 10.
Port Chester, Peekskill and Yonkers all sat outside the top 10, ranking 12th through 14th, respectively.
- 1 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway In Mount Kisco
- 2 Mount Kisco Parking Officer Pleads Guilty To Stealing $89K From Meters
- 3 Mrs. Westchester Charged With Stealing From Group Home
- 4 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 5 Mount Kisco's Ranking Among NY's Safest Places To Live Tops Week's News