MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Mount Kisco’s Michael Eisner.
Eisner, who was born in Mount Kisco, turns 72 on Friday.
Eisner, a businessman, was born March 7, 1942. He was the chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company from 1984 until 2005. After two brief stints at NBC and CBS, Barry Diller at ABC hired Eisner as Assistant to the National Programming Director. Eisner moved up the ranks, eventually becoming a senior vice president in charge of programming and development.
In 1976, Diller, who had by then moved on to become chairman of Paramount Pictures, recruited Eisner from ABC and made him president and CEO of the movie studio. During his tenure at Paramount, the studio turned out such hit films as Saturday Night Fever, Grease, the Star Trek film franchise, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Beverly Hills Cop, and hit TV shows such as Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Cheers and Family Ties.
In October 2007, Eisner, through his Tornante Company investment firm, partnered with Madison Dearborn Partners in the acquisition of Topps Company, the bubble-gum and collectibles firm. He produced a mockumentary style show about his takeover of the Topps Company, called "Back on Topps."
The College of Education at California State University Northridge is named in his honor. He was inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 2012.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Mount Kisco, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Mount Kisco
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 18-24 Inches Of Snow Possible In Mount Kisco; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 5 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer