WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- Thirteen Westchester County veterans were announced as inductees into the 40th Senate District's Veterans Hall of Fame by State Sen. Greg Ball, chairman of the Senate Veterans, Homeland Security and Military Affairs Committee on Friday, Nov. 8.
“I created the Veterans’ Hall of Fame to honor outstanding individuals who have nobly and selflessly served the United States of America. Nominated by their communities, these heroic men and women have pursued a distinguished path in both their military and civilian lives, demonstrating admirable qualities and reaching great achievements worthy of this recognition,” Ball said in a statement. “These extraordinary veterans devoted their lives to a cause greater than one’s self, nobly dedicating themselves to preserving the safety and freedom of the American people through acts of courage, honor and integrity.”
The 13 Westchester inductees are:
- Cpl Joseph Occhipinti (Buchanan)
- Fire Control 3rd Class George Price (Cortlandt)
- Gunners Mate 3rd Class Joseph Turturro (Croton)
- PFC. Daniel Sant (Lewisboro)
- Cpl. John Hvisch (Mount Kisco)
- Petty Officer Ronald Rose and Corporal Edmund Burke (Mount Pleasant)
- Sgt. Andrew Sandor (North Salem)
- Cpl. Charles Wassil, Jr. (Peekskill)
- Capt. Scott Elliott (Pleasantville)
- Pfc. Nicholas Lapenna (Somers)
- Sgt. Dimitri Sywyk and Sergeant William Lewis (Yorktown)
The inductees will be honored at a ceremony on Nov. 21 at 6 p.m. at the Mahopac Falls Elementary School, located at 100 Myrtle Ave.
Each veteran honored at the ceremony will also be included on a traveling wall that will tour local municipalities and schools throughout the 40th District.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.