MOUNT PLEASANT, N.Y. – Douglas Kennedy lost a pair of chickens Saturday in a fire in the backyard of his Bedford Road home in Mount Pleasant, the Journal News reported .
Kennedy, a son of Robert F. Kennedy, wasn’t home but his neighbors called Mount Pleasant Police, who eventually ran into the burning coop and saved eight other chickens.
“They’re real heroes,” Kennedy told the Journal News. “They saved our chickens.”
The 10 chickens, kept as pets, were given to the Kennedy family by Bedford Road school after hatching in a second-grade classroom. Kennedy’s daughter, Rowen, is a student at the school.
The fire is believed to be cause by a space heater in the chicken coop, which provided the chickens with warmth in the winter, Kennedy explained in the report.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Louis Alagno told the newspaper that the report came in at 7:35 a.m. Saturday from a 911 call.
Kennedy has been no stranger to headlines lately, as his courtroom battles between Northern Westchester Hospital and two of its nurses most recently included his suit against the hospital. Just last week, Northern Westchester Hospital responded to Kennedy’s lawsuit .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.