Updated Jan. 13, 10 a.m.
MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. – Fire ripped through the second story of a home at 18 Nitra Road in Mount Kisco on Friday night, forcing a family into the street, according to Mount Kisco Fire Chief Tom Jackson.
The property was home to a family who discovered the fire and notified authorities around 9:50 p.m., Jackson said. Tankers from Katonah, Bedford Hills, Yorktown and Millwood assisted the Mount Kisco Fire Department, while the Chappaqua Fire Department was on stand-by.
About 60 firefighters had the fire under control by 10:20 p.m., Jackson said. No injuries were reported.
Jackson said the cause of the fire was accidental, as an overheated extensive cord caught fire to a mattress. It is believed a family of three was living in the home.
The property at 18 Nitra Road sits adjacent to the Yeshiva Farm Settlement School. According to Jackson, the second story sustained severe damage while the first floor obtained water and smoke damage.
"The house needs a lot of work before someone can live in it again," he said. "So the family will need to find another home for the time being."
- 1 Proposed Exit 4 Food Hall Clears Mount Kisco Zoning Board
- 2 Man Slept In Mount Kisco Woman's Garden After Drinking, Police Say
- 3 Hillary Clinton Gets Health OK From Mount Kisco Medical Group Physician
- 4 Billionaire Mount Kisco Businessman, Philanthropist Jerome Kohlberg Dies
- 5 One-Car Crash Closes Saw Mill Parkway For Hours