MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. – The Mount Kisco family that lost its home and two family dogs to a fire Monday is staying with relatives who live close by Mount Kisco Fire Chief Tom Jackson said.
The home at 3 Circle Drive caught fire because of an electrical problem in the laundry room. Nobody was home, so the fire went undetected until it consumed the house, Jackson said. The roof burned off and the fire spread to the lawn and tress around the home.
“Everything was burning,” Jackson said.
Ammunition could be heard going off inside the home for a couple of minutes, which Jackson said he has never seen happen in Mount Kisco. He did say he had heard of it happening before.
Between 60 and 70 firefighters responded to the scene, including the Bedford Hills fast team. Chappaqua and Katonah fire departments covered other calls in Mount Kisco during the blaze, which firefighters battled from 2 to around 3 p.m. There were no injuries to any firefighters. But, an elderly neighbor frightened by the fire was taken to the hospital as a precaution with high blood pressure.
The owner of the home’s parents lived nearby.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.