MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- A Tuesday morning residential fire in Mount Kisco claimed the life of one man and left a woman with minor burns, according to Fire Chief Mario Muccioli.
The woman was saved by three village highway department employees who were doing recycling collection by the house, Muccioli recalled. The house is located at 121 St Marks Place.
The employees, who were unable to save the man due to the intensity of the smoke and fire, called 911 in response. The severity of the fire also prevented firefighters from saving the victim, who Muccioli said was approximately 30 years olds.
The woman was taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, Muccioli added.
Mount Kisco firefighters were dispatched shortly after 8 a.m., according to Muccioli. Mutual aid was provided by firefighters from Bedford Hills, Katonah, Chappaqua and Yorktown Heights. The Mount Kisco Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Westchester EMS and Westchester County Police also responded, Muccioli said.
The fire was put out in about half an hour, according to Muccioli, who called damaged to the house "very severe."
It was determined that the fire was caused by a candle that fell down in the basement, Muccioli said; the blaze was ruled to be accidental.
The fire is the second resulting in a fatality in Mount Kisco in less than a year. Last August, an electrical fire at a home near Route 117 killed 86-year-old Chrystine Nicholas.
Update: Daily Voice was originally told that the Armonk Fire Department was among those provided mutual aid. A representative from the Armonk Fire Department subsequently reached out and told Daily Voice that this was not the case. The story has been updated to reflect the update.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.