BEDFORD, N.Y. – Springfield College senior Joey Grippi had not wrestled since November so he was looking forward to Saturday's Scott Viera Wrestling Invitational.
Grippi showed the month off did not affect his performance in winning the 141-pound weight class at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I.
The Fox Lane graduate, currently ranked third in the nation at 141 pounds, registered two pins and received a forfeit in the final.
“I had some small injuries that were more important to me to allow them to heal so I would be ready for the second half of the season,” said Grippi, a physical education major. “Getting back on the mat was important so I could shake off the rust. It was good to get some wins under my belt heading into the national duels this week.”
Grippi pinned Dean Piterski of Roger Williams University in 1:15 of their quarterfinal match. Grippi followed up by pinning Simeone Everett of Springfield Technical Community College in 3:46 of their semifinal.
- 1 Mount Kisco Zoning Board To Meet On Food Hall's Parking Variance Bid
- 2 Trump's Presidential Run Puts Spotlight On His Byram Lake Estate
- 3 Shark Sightings Lead To Beach Closure On Long Island
- 4 Police Corral 90-Pound Alligator Crossing Street In New York City
- 5 Outside Clinton Home, Astorino Seeks Hillary's Take On Affordable Housing