BEDFORD, N.Y. – Springfield College senior Joey Grippi had not wrestled since November so he was looking forward to Saturday's Scott Viera Wrestling Invitational.
Grippi showed the month off did not affect his performance in winning the 141-pound weight class at Roger Williams University in Bristol, R.I.
The Fox Lane graduate, currently ranked third in the nation at 141 pounds, registered two pins and received a forfeit in the final.
“I had some small injuries that were more important to me to allow them to heal so I would be ready for the second half of the season,” said Grippi, a physical education major. “Getting back on the mat was important so I could shake off the rust. It was good to get some wins under my belt heading into the national duels this week.”
Grippi pinned Dean Piterski of Roger Williams University in 1:15 of their quarterfinal match. Grippi followed up by pinning Simeone Everett of Springfield Technical Community College in 3:46 of their semifinal.
- 1 Serious Accident Results In Route 172 Closure Near Fox Lane HS
- 2 Mount Kisco Ranked Among Safest Places To Live In New York
- 3 Mount Kisco Medical Group Partners With Mount Sinai Health System
- 4 National Weather Service: Mount Kisco's Winter Won't Be So Bad
- 5 Accident Closes Southbound Saw Mill River Parkway In Mount Kisco