CHAPPAQUA, N.Y. -- New Castle's Willowbrook Swim & Dive swim team topped rival Chappaqua Swim & Tennis club in a battle of unbeaten Northern Swimming Conference Division 1 clubs in the final dual meet of the regular season on Thursday, July 24.
Willowbrook (5-0) outscored Chappaqua (4-1) 293-247 in with the conference and county championships set to begin this week.
Kelly Byrne won the 8-Under girls backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle, Alex Nunez took the 10-Under boys breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle and
Erica Silverman placed first in the 18-Under girls backstroke, fly and free to lead Willowbrook as triple winners.
Chappaqua's triple winners were Finn Franks (8-Under boys breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle), Ava Franks (12-Under girls backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle) and River Elms (18-Under boys backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly).
"It was an exciting meet for all the divers and swimmers. It was nice to see Willowbrook continue its undefeated season," Willowbrook's head coach, Chris Jankowski, said.
In addition to coaching at Willowbrook Swim & Tennis in the summer, Jankowski is the head coach of Saw Mill Club Storm Aquatics.
- Finn Franks: 8-Under boys breast, fly, free
- Ava Franks: 12-Under girls back, breast, free
- River Elms: 18-Under boys back, breast, fly
- Megan Bobko: 13-Under and 18-Under girls diving.
- Luisa Nierhoff: 10-Under girls back, breaststroke.
- Lauren Arnold: 10-Under girls fly, free.
- Joe Weiner: 12-Under boys fly, free
- Gaige Elms: 14-Under girls back, free
- John Koster: 14-Under boys back, fly
Team and pool records broken
Willowbrook’s 11-Under Boys Free Relay Team (Noah Falbaum, Alex Nunez, Jonah Lichtenthal, Luke McHugh) swam a 2:15.67 to finish in first place and break the pool record from 2008 held by Yorktown (Daniel Evans, Eddie D’Amore, Nick Rabadi, Marcel Legros) with a 2:19.90.
The CST Boys 11 and Under Free Relay Team (Wyatt Yates, Adam Nack, Finn Franks, Joe Weiner) finished in second place and broke the CST team record with a 2:17.68. The previous record of 2:20.27 was set in 2012 by Joe Weiner, Stephen Pearce, Zachary Eichenberger, and Wyatt Yates.
Both Willowbrook and Chappaqua will be compete in the 89th annual Westchester County Swimming Championships from Monday through Thursday this week at the Playland Pool in Rye.
The NWSC Division 1 Diving Championships are on Wednesday, July 30, at Briarcliff. The NWSC All-Star Diving Meet is Thursday, July 31, at Lewisboro. The NWSC Division 1 Swim Championships are Saturday, Aug. 2, at Yorktown.
From reports by Jodi Falbaum of Willowbrook and coach Dan Levy of Chappaqua Swim & Tennis.
- 1 10 Displaced In Fire At Mount Kisco Multifamily Home
- 2 Bedford Schools Superintendent Cancels Race Relations Workshop
- 3 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Mount Kisco Skies Sunday
- 4 Mount Kisco's Neighbors Link Provides Health Care To Low-Income Residents
- 5 Mount Kisco Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday