OSSINING, N.Y. -- The defending New York State Class AA girls basketball champion Ossining High School Pride are two wins away from repeating.
Ossining will play in the state semifinals set for tipoff at 6:15 p.m. at Hudson Valley Community College in Troy, N.Y.
Ossining (22-2) will represent Section 1 area high schools against Section 5's Gates Chili High School (18-5) with a chance to advance to the title game Saturday at 8:45 p.m.
The Pride defeated Chili 89-69 in last year's Class AA state championship game but the Pride lost most of that team and its leader, University of Connecticut star Soniya Chong, to graduation.
Jalay Knowles, who scored 24 points in a 69-52 state regional title game win over Horseheads High School on Saturday, March 8, is a dominant inside player with a good outside shot.
Lead guard Stefanie Svoboda and forward Shadeen Samuels add defense and rebounding to the versatile Pride on both ends of the court.
Duards Cierra Dillard and Samantha Heiler lead the Chili offense.
With a win, Ossining will play either Section 3's Cicero-North Syracuse (19-5) or Section 8's Baldwin (17-2) Saturday for a second straight title.
- 1 Suspect Charged In Mt. Kisco 'Bicycle Bandit' Robbery
- 2 Dick Crabtree Of Chappaqua, Owner Of The Kittle House, Dies At 84
- 3 Village Of Mount Kisco Invites Residents For Holiday Stroll
- 4 5-Year-Old Boy Subject Of NY Amber Alert Is Found Dead
- 5 Mount Kisco Gets $340K Grant For County Police Consolidation