MOUNT KISCO, N.Y. -- The Mount Kisco Police Department has put out some tips to help residents prevent items from being stolen from their vehicles.
These tips include:
* Lock your vehicle and pocket the keys. Remember to lock the trunk, the hatchback or the tailgate.
* Do not leave spare / valet keys inside the vehicle.
* Never leave your car running unattended (not even for a minute). It is against the law.
* If you have a GPS, remove it and the cradle/suction cup from the window. Store it out of sight. Wipe from the ring/impression from the window that may have been left from the suction cup.
* If possible, avoid parking next to vans, pick-ups and other large vehicles. These large vehicles can hide your vehicle and make it hard to observe.
* Don't invite a vehicle break-in by leaving packages or valuables (loose change, cellular phones, compact discs, iPods, wallets, laptops, sports equipment, electrical power cords, etc.) in sight. Place items out of view in a concealed armrest, glove box or in the trunk if they must be left in the car.
* Whenever possible, park in well lit and busy areas. At home, utilize motion sensor lights on the exterior of your home and garage.
* Avoid transferring items to the trunk where your car is parked. A thief may be watching.
* If you have custom or expensive wheels, purchase and use a wheel lock.
* Checkbooks, credit cards or other credentials, which a thief could misuse, should not be left in a vehicle.
* Install an audible alarm. If your car is equipped with an alarm system, use it.
* If you see suspicious activity, report it immediately by dialing 911.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.